News Archive: August 2018

Thursday, 30 August 2018. After a few more phone chats with the Township, I've come to learn that some of their own wires are crossed regarding requirements for permits; among other things, they can't seem to agree on how they calculate building volume. They're also hung up on the placement of fire detectors in the plan, which is entirely the fault of my architect. So there's loads of blame to spread around to all parties involved, and while it's gratifying to know it's not all me, it's resulting in considerable delays and added costs—I'm going to need new blueprints.

Wednesday, 29 August 2018. The brutal heat has kept me from doing much of anything. So, I treated myself to something for the workshop: a tool chest (below right). Yeah, I'm a DeWalt junkie. Also, a rep from Pella came to work up a quote for windows. Meanwhile, the Township read me the riot act for doing this work without all of the proper permits. Honestly, I thought everything was legit—every time I was in their office, I'd ask, "What's next?" and I'd be given more forms to fill out. I was mistaken.

Sunday, 26 August 2018. Chipping away at the kitchen sink and under-counter water heater plumbing—which includes the dishwasher connections (above left).

Saturday, 25 August 2018. Another loose end checked off.

Friday, 24 August 2018. Tied up a few more loose ends.

Monday, 20 August 2018. I've received an extremely troubling phone call from JCP&L regarding permanent electric service. It's all detailed in a new section (Part 3) added to The Battle for Electricity.

Friday, 17 August 2018. Installed a 220V outlet in the garage for an air compressor. Also, the kitchen sink was delivered.

Thursday, 16 August 2018. Installed the fireplace flue.

Tuesday, 14 August 2018. Ordered a bunch of stuff online, including the fireplace flue parts, the kitchen sink, and the kitchen faucet fixtures (grand total over $2K—ouch), which was about all I could do with daytime highs pushing 90.

Sunday, 12 August 2018. In spite of heat, humidity and rain, I still managed to knock off a couple more loose ends, such as the septic pump controller (below right).

Saturday, 11 August 2018. After a lengthy excursion to Lowes and Home Depot, I spent some time during the rainy afternoon tying up a couple of loose ends such as the HVAC compressor disconnect box (above left).

Friday, 10 August 2018. I started making some sawdust framing the fireplace flue support (below left), now that I've chosen a unit and know exactly where it needs to be, and reframing the refrigerator and oven openings (below right) to suit new models to replace those that have been discontinued. Also, it looks like permanent electric service may arrive in mid-September, based on the initial responses I've received from the three parties involved.

Wednesday, 8 August 2018. The nightmare is over. And for my first official task of the project reboot, I consolidated all of the construction debris and other bulky trash into one pile, and had it carted away. Given the 86° temperature and 70% humidity, that was all I could manage. But it was a vital first step, as it cleared the way for permanent electric service to be installed—and to that end, I also contacted my excavator to get him in the queue.

Thursday, 2 August 2018. The commercial property closing has been moved—but contrary to my expectations, it's now earlier: 8 August. The sooner the better, as far as I'm concerned!

Home

Copyright © 2017-2019 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Top of Page | Site Map