Latest News

23 October 2018. The electrical inspector finally showed up today, which puts me on track to get permanent electric service soon (below left); now it's down to when JCP&L decides to show up and throw the switch. Then, my order for eave and fascia finishing lumber arrived, and I started messing around with it, trying to find the most effective approach to the job (below right). But the big story on Action News unfortunately is not good: the window manufacturer has pushed the delivery of my windows out to January. So I've cancelled the order, and I'm investigating other options.

19 October 2018. The excavation crew was kind enough to squeeze me into their schedule and help fix the driveway, which was nearly impassible; this is a temporary touch-up until a more thorough job can be done in the spring, after all of the disturbed soil settles. Meanwhile, the revised blueprints arrived—finally—and were immediately delivered to the Township. However, once again their inspector failed to show up when scheduled for the service line inspection, so that's been postponed until next Tuesday.

17 October 2018. Transformer is in. Meter pan is wired. Now I just need an inspection (Friday) for the permit to flip the switch. I've nearly reached the end of a 3˝-year saga! In other news, the roofer showed up to take the final measurements so he can order the material, and I paid the deposit. I'm committed. With no permit. Because the revised blueprints still aren't done...

16 October 2018. It would seem that my (very long and very loud) complaints to JCP&L inspired them to make good on their screw-up and finish the wire pull today. Still no revised blueprints.

15 October 2018. JCP&L did not pull wire as planned, because their scheduler totally screwed up: they told me one thing, while their crew was expecting something else. And it will cost me time and money because of their screw-up—naturally. So their crew took all of their equipment back home at the end of the day without having done a thing. (I saw this coming back on 4 October...)

Meanwhile, the architect is going on three weeks past due, and he's still waffling on delivery, so that's royally screwing up everything else, since all of my permits and inspections are now dependent on it. The roofer wanted to start today, but I had to push him off a week because I'm not ready. And so it goes.

12 October 2018. Just placed the order for the roof: $24,500.

11 October 2018. Met with the window manufacturer rep, and placed the order. $8000, or about half what I was expecting to pay. Then I had two back-to-back surprises—of a good kind: the trench inspection had in fact taken place (when, exactly, I have no idea) and I only learned of this two days later. When I called JCP&L with the news, they scheduled the wire-pulling for the following Monday and/or Tuesday. Since I was expecting a wait of as much as 2-3 weeks, you could have knocked me over with a feather! The service line inspection will take place immediately afterward on Tuesday, and assuming it passes, I can arrange for the meter install.

10 October 2018. Trench has been backfilled.

9 October 2018. So the ditch came off without a hitch. It was the Township that screwed me—their inspector was supposed to come at noon, but he never showed up. So it became a two-day job through no fault of mine or my contractors. I am not happy at all. In other news, I've added two new To-Do List items that were originally going to be part of the roof job, but have been split off to save money: eaves and gutters.

8 October 2018. Tomorrow is the trenching. If all goes well, the Township's inspector will be dropping by at just the right time to have a look at the trench. Meanwhile, the window manufacturer rep will be showing up on Thursday. And the architect wants another week. Still no estimate for the roof.

4 October 2018. It would seem all of the puzzle pieces for getting the electric line conduit installed on Tuesday, 9 October, are finally in place. But based on past experience, I'm not counting on smooth sailing, especially where the line meets the existing transformer—JCP&L will need to be involved, thus I see a potential for all sorts of problems. Meanwhile, I've still not heard back from the window manufacturer, the roofing contractor or the architect.

2 October 2018. The Township has indicated they require a smoke detector in the garage, so I purchased and installed an electric box. I also placed an order online for items needed to install the two exterior doors. In other news, I've learned that the materials alone for the roof will run around $20K (still no total estimate, however). I've also settled on my choice of siding: board and batten. It's the most economical, in large part because I can do the work myself. Still up in the air, however, is what to do about the eves.

1 October 2018. Thanks to the Township, electrical conduit installation has been postponed. Also, I've learned the architectural drawing revisions haven't even been started yet, days after they were promised to have been finished.

September | Home

Copyright © 2017-2018 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Top of Page | Site Map