News Archive: September 2018
Sunday, 30 September 2018. Connected the meter pan to the breaker panel.
Saturday, 29 September 2018. Finished one of the last remaining loose ends—install the external vent for the exhaust fan in Kitty Central (below left)—plus one that wasn't even on the list: finish enclosing the return air vent in the office (below right). The green paint is an indicator to the sheetrock crew to leave the area open.
Thursday, 27 September 2018. Reduced the size of the canyon windows by 1˝" (below) per the roofing contractor's recommendation.
Wednesday, 26 September 2018. The transformer pedestal for the electric service line was delivered today.
Tuesday, 25 September 2018. Conduit installation is scheduled for Monday, 1 October, weather permitting.
Monday, 24 September 2018. Got more window estimates, and my first pick was the cheapest by far—and it was also recommended by my architect. So, I'm about to order $8,000 worth of glass, wood and plastic. Also, my front and side exterior doors have arrived.
Saturday, 22 September 2018. Met with a roofing contractor (yes, on a Saturday). I liked him right away, and I could tell he genuinely liked the house and the property—my acid test for contractors—so I'm not inclined to get any other bids.
Friday, 21 September 2018. My architect made the two-hour trip down from his office to do a detailed survey of how I'd altered the house design so that he can revise the blueprints to satisfy the Township. He claims it will take two weeks to make the revisions, which means everything except electric service will remain on hold until October, while electric service will remain on hold until it stops raining.
Wednesday, 19 September 2018. In addition to the rotting roof, there's a lot of soil erosion taking place (below) because there are no gutters. I simply cannot finish things fast enough.
Monday, 17 September 2018. Today I've made an unfortunate discovery: portions of the roof have started to rot out (below). Also, after doing some online research, I've learned that standing seam steel is about twice as expensive as I'd thought; the roof alone is going to take almost 30% of my remaining budget. Consequently it's thrown my choice of siding back into limbo.
Friday, 14 September 2018. Conduit has arrived.
Thursday, 13 September 2018. Finally got the specs for the electric service conduit, and ordered it; delivery is scheduled for tomorrow.
Wednesday, 12 September 2018. It's a good thing I hadn't yet ordered the conduit for the electrical service line, because JCP&L's engineer changed the specs.
Tuesday, 11 September 2018. After picking up my electric service permit, I installed the meter pan (below left), and also received the first of two shipments of insulation (below right), which nearly filled the garage.
Monday, 10 September 2018. Ordered front and side exterior doors, and ordered insulation. Also submitted a request for a quote on windows from Andersen to compare with the one from Pella. And I finished installing hurricane ties in the garage, eliminating one more loose end.
Friday, 7 September 2018. Met with JCP&L to go over my proposal for running the electric service line. To my great surprise and relief, they approved my plan exactly as it stands. So I paid the Township a visit to request a permit to begin work, and it looks like they'll have it ready by Tuesday.
Wednesday, 5 September 2018. Checked off two more loose ends before the heat set in: installed the dryer and bathroom external vents (below right).
Sunday, 1 September 2018. I made a last minute electrical modification: I split off the entertainment center outlets from the living level circuit. I did this for two reasons: one, there was a lot on that circuit, and I wanted to reduce the load; and two, being on its own branch will reduce the amount of electrical noise reaching the equipment plugged into the entertainment center outlets. I also fabricated and installed the main air return vent in the foyer (above left).
Copyright © 2017-2019 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved.