2. The Module

The module could not be more simple. At 24 inches long it's considered a "double," which just happened to be the length of the leftover rubber rock. I didn't have enough long straight Kato Unitrack parts left over, which was fine since the gentle curves I used instead fit the rock cut scene much better. (Some folks might be a little nervous with the track swinging so close to the edge of the module—they'll just have to deal with it!)

As soon as I posed the rubber rock casting next to the track, I knew what the setting would be.

I made a simple box to the T-Trak standards from leftover plywood scraps. (They didn't have a minimum depth spec, and only a "recommended" maximum of 14", so I figured 6" was perfectly fine.)

After laying the track with brush-on Krazy Glue, I simply glued the rubber rock in place with more brush-on Krazy Glue.

I then backed up the rock with a scrap of 1/2-inch thick extruded foam insulation that I cut to fit with a packing knife.

This completed the module construction. Time invested so far: about an hour spent looking up the specs and figuring out what I wanted to do (25 May 2019), and an hour building the module base (26 May 2019). There were some gaps waiting for glue and paint to dry, which I spent creating these web pages.

Previous Chapter | Chapter Index | Next Chapter

Copyright © 2017-2020 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved | Site Map