Constructed by Neal Hart in 1814, the Union Hotel was a gathering place for the wealthy and socialites through the 1800s. When the trial of Bruno Hauptmann was conducted across the street at the Hunterdon County Courthouse in 1935, members of the media covering the trial stayed at the hotel, generating considerable notoriety. Much later, the hotel was renovated and became the Union Hotel Restaurant. However, it was not profitable, and closed in 2008. Since that time, various plans to restore, demolish and re-utilize the building have been proposed. While the front of the building is well-kept, the back is in disrepair.
This will likely be a tough scratchbuilding challenge.
Copyright © 2017-2019 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved.