Except for the truss bridge and trestle, all of the track was Rokuhan roadbed-style sectional track. At the time, Rokuhan had just entered the scene, and in fact it's the main reason I chose to build a Z Scale adaptation of the G&D. They were expanding their product line quickly, and had announced a new tight-radius turnout shortly before I'd started on the project. Owing to production delays, that turnout wasn't released in time for me to use it, so I had to make my own. I used Micro-Trains Micro-Track flex for the two bridges.
Some of the Rokuhan track sections had to be custom-cut in order to make the track plan work. This was accomplished by 1) removing the rail joiners; 2) marking the underside of the track; 3) cutting the roadbed with a miter box and razor saw; 4) removing the roadbed parts from the rails; 5) reassembling the shortened roadbed and bonding it with solvent cement; 6) trimming away the excess rail, and replacing the rail joiners. The modified track is cosmetically identical to normal track.
I also made my own power feeders: 1) grind off the tops of the ball-shaped rail indexes; 2) tin them; 3) loop the end of a wire and tin it; 4) solder the wire to the track; 5) cut a slot in the subroadbed; 6) install the track with Loc-Tite Power Grab (caulk adhesive).
After the track was laid, I sprayed it all with ruddy primer.
Random individual ties were hit with a thinned white wash, followed by an India ink wash.
Ballast was sprinkled on, and carefully shaped with small, soft brushes.
Then it was bonded in the usual manner, using isopropyl alcohol as a wetting agent, followed by dilute white glue.
Finally, the railheads were cleaned by dragging a sharp knife along them.
Copyright © 2017-2019 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved | Site Map