To-Do List: Siding

The siding was the source of considerable indecision for quite a long time. Ultimately the budget crunch forced me to choose the most economical approach: what I call "faux board and batten." This consists of rough-cut plywood siding (a.k.a. T-111) with slats applied over the seams, a trick I devised when building the guest house. The results were good enough to fool some contractors. And it's super-cheap: I'm able to side the whole house for less than $2K. As a bonus, I used the same material for the fascia.

The siding will be stained with Behr semi-transparent stain/sealant in "Slate" (example above). On 1 December 2018 I installed a bit of soffit so I could get some siding up, just to see how it might look (below).

Although far from ideal, it was good enough to continue, and I focused on the front of the house so it would look finished with just a few more panels installed.

The only thing I don't like about this choice is that I really do not like the look of yellow pine. What saves it for me is the really dark stain—it hides a multitude of sins.

3 June 2019, I finished the office wall I'd started last December. The differences in wood coloration will go away when the stain is applied.

The upper two levels on the northwest side of the house were completed 11 June 2019.

Return | To-Do List

Copyright © 2017-2022 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved.
Home | Top of Page | Site Map