Grump Central Archive: Week of 7 October 2018
Saturday, 13 October 2018
Yesterday's volunteer work was rained out, so I piddled around the house. Courtesy of heavy rain the last two nights, my driveway is a lumpy, bumpy mud slick (good thing I have an SUV) that'll need some repair once things dry out, although more rain is predicted for tomorrow. I sure hope it doesn't kill the wire-pulling scheduled for Monday, but knowing JCP&L, it probably will. Also... placed the order for the roof.
Friday, 12 October 2018
Pleasant surprises: the trench and conduit were inspected—entirely outside of my awareness—so the wire-pulling will take place on Monday and/or Tuesday, immediately followed by another inspection. Also, I finally heard from the roofer; he'll have an estimate "soon." Coincidentally, the architect had the same response: "soon." It's a shame there's no agreed-upon global definition of that word. Meanwhile, today will be a day of intense activity as I wrap up a major volunteer project.
Thursday, 11 October 2018
Yesterday the crew buttoned up the trench—I can always count on the guys from Herman's to get the job done right. Alas, my driveway will never be the same again, although they'll be back in a few weeks to give it a touch-up after the backfill has settled. In other news, I'll be meeting with the window manufacturer rep this morning—in the pouring rain.
Wednesday, 10 October 2018
So the ditch came off without a hitch. It was the Township that screwed me—their inspector was supposed to come at noon, but he never showed up. So it became a two-day job through no fault of mine or my contractors. I am not happy at all.
Tuesday, 9 October 2018
Assuming the weather holds, today is the day my driveway gets torn up as the first step to getting permanent electric service. And just in time—it's supposed to rain the rest of the week. The weather is also getting wacky: high today ~80°; high Saturday ~60°.
Monday, 8 October 2018
Just to pile it on, my car was back in the shop. Inch by inch, I'm getting closer to buying a new car—even though I don't have the budget for it. At least if I go broke, I can get out of town reliably.
Sunday, 7 October 2018
I'm nearly at my limit with the strain of getting things done on my house. But my volunteer work is adding another layer of stress that's threatening to cripple me. I'm ready to quit the organization simply as an act of self-preservation, but if I do, their fall event will be cancelled, they'll lose a third of their annual income, and it will be all my fault. I can't take this anymore.
Copyright © 2017-2020 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved | Site Map