Grump Central Archive: Week of 14 October 2018
Saturday, 20 October. Yesterday turned out to be busier than I'd expected: the excavation crew was kind enough to squeeze me into their schedule and help fix the driveway, which was nearly impassible (the porta-potty truck driver refused to come up the drive, and they're two weeks past due!). Meanwhile, the revised blueprints arrived, and were immediately delivered to the Township. However, once again their inspector failed to show up when scheduled for the service line inspection, so that's been postponed until next Tuesday. This is beginning to get really annoying.
Friday, 19 October. The architect finally finished the revisions, which should be arriving by FedEx this morning; then it's straight to the Township with them. Later today the service line inspection should take place, wrapping up a very hectic week.
Thursday, 18 October. With the power line to the house complete—and awaiting final inspection before they can throw the switch—I had to turn my attention to the roof. Yesterday the roofer showed up to take final measurements so he can order the materials, and to take my deposit. I've committed to a task for which I have yet to secure a permit. I must be insane.
Wednesday, 17 October. Sometimes it pays to complain. I was never loud or impolite, but I let JCP&L have it with both barrels. Ultimately they grudgingly agreed to accept their screw-up and make amends, and so the crew returned yesterday to pull all of the wire; the transformer will be dropped today, and inspection is rescheduled for Friday. Meanwhile, I came down hard on my architect, who is now going on three weeks past due. He begged for more time, tentatively agreeing to wrap up the revised blueprints today (read: Friday, if I'm lucky, more likely next Monday). The window rep was supposed to give me a contract and delivery timetable on Monday; I've received the contract, but no timetable. And so it goes.
Tuesday, 16 October. I just knew it was too good to be true when JCP&L said they'd be right out to pull wire. They showed up around 10 AM with five huge trucks, then sat around doing nothing. At noon I got a call from their scheduler asking me to walk out and meet their foreman to discuss the problem with them. The problem was that their scheduler told me one thing, while their crew was expecting something totally different. Ultimately their scheduler's screw-up became my responsibility because their crew was not obligated to work with conduit—"Union rules" and all that bull crap. Which leaves me with no options until I can arrange to have the problem addressed—on my dime, of course—after which they can then reschedule the wire pull. All of which could take 2-3 weeks or more. I am shaking with rage. God damn JCP&L to Hell.
Monday, 15 October. Wire pulling is supposed to happen today, but given that it's begun to rain, it probably won't happen until tomorrow, in which case it won't be ready for the inspection scheduled at noon. The architect is now more than three weeks past due, and he's still waffling on delivery, so that's royally screwing up everything else, since all of my permits and inspections are now dependent on it. The roofer wanted to start today, but I had to push him off a week because I'm not ready. What a jumbled mess this week is shaping up to be...
Sunday, 14 October. With so many ducks finally falling into line, multiple milestones should be wrapped up in a dizzyingly compressed timetable. My goal has been to obtain a temporary Certificate of Occupancy by the end of the year. But many speed bumps may yet crop up between now and then, so I'm not getting my hopes up. Yet.
Copyright © 2017-2018 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved | Site Map