Grump Central Archive: Week of 11 November 2018
Saturday, 17 November. A significant shipment arrived yesterday: roof panels. The roofer said he'd be here either today or Monday to begin installing the panels. Also, I'm supposed to get the first shipment of windows delivered today; if so, I'll be installing them immediately.
Friday, 16 November. The surprise November Nor'easter dumped close to four inches of snow before it turned to sleet around 3:30, and then freezing rain an hour later. Despite the mess, I still did what I could to get some insulation installed. Next week looks to be sunny and dry, so my fingers are crossed for the roof finally getting done. Also, some of the windows are due to be delivered tomorrow, and if they arrive on schedule, I know what I'll be doing this weekend. However... the lead time for my garage door is six weeks; it won't arrive until the end of December. Thus any vague hopes of hooking up the well (the pressure tank will reside in the garage) and possibly making the house habitable in 2018 are officially off the books. Oh well.
Thursday, 15 November. Ugh! Ice and snow predicted for today, with heavy rain tonight and tomorrow. Doesn't look like I'll get much, if anything, done for a while. Plus, this weather has delayed the roof yet another week, while the deteriorating temporary roof will be damaged even more—it's already leaking in several places, which also means I can't install all of the insulation. But the worst news so far arrived from Pella, who informed me that my window delivery is being delayed at least a week, pushing their installation into December. So much for buttoning things up by Thanksgiving. Damn.
Wednesday, 14 November. The inspector was kind enough to inform me that he'd be away today, so he squeezed in his re-inspection yesterday. I'm now ready to rock and roll! Unfortunately, Mother Nature is preparing numerous speed bumps in the form of days of rain and possibly even some snow. I can't seem to catch a break.
Tuesday, 13 November. Thanks to Veteran's Day, the inspector did not come out yesterday. Now he's rescheduled for Wednesday. Meanwhile, when exactly the roof will be finished remains a mystery—I'm getting a tad perturbed.
Monday, 12 November. Last night's low was 29, and the forecast calls for four more sub-freezing nights this week, plus precipitation of some sort every other day on average (including a chance of the dreaded S-word on Wednesday). Despite the fact that the house won't be habitable this year, I'm still frantically working on it because the windows are coming, and I absolutely must be ready for them. Although I'm installing all of the smaller ones myself, the giant picture windows in the living area are scheduled to be installed for me right after Thanksgiving. It's quite the challenge working when it's only 40-something outside—my fingers go numb after a while.
Sunday, 11 November. It's looking less and less likely that I'll have a shot at getting the house buttoned up this year. Long-range forecasts call for lows in the twenties multiple nights this week, which means the ground will almost certainly be frozen before I'm ready to do connect the well. So, I may as well resign myself to another winter in the cabin. Meanwhile, I've brought all of my new wood stain into the cabin to keep it from freezing—it's getting just a bit crowded in here.
Copyright © 2017-2019 by David K. Smith. All Rights Reserved | Site Map